We are eager to answer them. Call us directly or submit the convenient online form below.
You Are Not Alone
Chronic venous disease (CVD) has a significant social and economic cost, impacting an estimated 50% of the population, and consuming an estimated 2-3% of healthcare budgets.1
Chronic venous disease is different from peripheral arterial disease (PAD). Both diseases result in pain and a decreased quality of life for the patient, but exist in two different systems. These diseases do have different signs and symptoms2.
Symptoms of Chronic Venous Disease
The symptoms frequently occurring in the legs and ankles may include
- Pain, swelling, heaviness, or cramping
- Skin color changes
- Reticular and Varicose Veins
- Thickening and hardening of the skin (lipodermatosclerosis)
- Ulcers (open sores) that may appear on or around the ankle
- Wounds that are slow to heal3,4
- Increased Time Standing
- Prior DVT
- Sex – incidence higher in women
- Previous Leg Injury2
Your Legs are Worth a Deeper Look!
In order to adequately treat chronic venous disease the proper diagnosis from your doctor is needed. This diagnosis requires the use of an imaging modality, i.e. duplex ultrasound, venogram, and/or intravascular ultrasound (IVUS)5.
Venous disease rarely gets better on its own. If you don’t get proper treatment, the conditions may come back or get worse. Be sure to consult with your doctor, since you may need a referral to a specialist.
- Eklof B, Perrin M, Delis K, Rutherford R, P G. Updated terminology of chronic venous disorders: the VEIN-TERM transatlantic interdisciplinary consensus document. J Vasc Surg. 2009;49(2):498-501.
- Bahr C. CVI and PAD: A review of venous and arterial disease. JAAPA. 2007 August; 20(8).
- Freischlag JA, Heller JA. Venous disease. In: Townsend CM, Beauchamp RD, Evers BM, Mattox KL, eds. Sabiston Textbook of Surgery. 19th ed. Philadelphia, Pa.: Elsevier Saunders; 2012: chap 65.
- Word R. Medical and surgical therapy for advanced chronic venous insufficiency. Surg Clin N Am. 2010;90:1195–1214.
- Neglén P, Hollis KC, Olivier J, Raju S. Stenting of the venous outflow in chronic venous disease: long-term stent-related outcome, clinical, and hemodynamic result. J Vasc Surg. 2007;46(5):979-990.